Are You Ready To Answer The Call?
Answering the call to become a Volunteer Firefighter and/or Emergency Medical Technician requires significant commitment, but comes with great reward. The King George County Department of Fire, Rescue and Emergency Services is a combination department with a need for dedicated volunteers (Firefighters/EMT/Paramedic) to answer emergency calls as well as personnel for administrative, office management, and community education initiatives.
Application Requirements (Minimum)
- Be at least 18 years of age (or 16-17 years old for the Junior program).
- Successfully complete the application process to include:
- A background check
- Copy of Immunization Records
- A criminal history record check, including fingerprinting*
- Application Documentation
- Application for Membership
- Application for Jr Membership (Ages 16-17)
- Follow this link to verify if an existing CPR Certification is accepted by the VA Office of EMS. Virginia Approved CPR Courses.
- Submit your application documentation once it has all be completed through this e-mail, or drop the hard copies off to our Co. 1 station, Headquarters at 8122 Kings Highway, King George, VA 22485.
- Upon submission of the application documentation, the applicant must complete these steps prior to becoming a member:
- Successfully complete an interview with the Membership Committee (to be scheduled upon submission of the application documentation)
- Complete the Ticket to Ride packet which contains several foundation certification courses, and successfully complete the Physical Agility Test
- Attend the New Volunteer Orientation
- Applicants will be presented to the Volunteer membership to be voted upon after completion of all of the steps listed above
- Approved applicants will be presented to the Fire Chief to receive their Welcome to Membership acceptance letter
- Volunteer members are required to sign up for on-duty shifts (on apparatus, answering emergency calls) for a minimum of 12-18 hours/month.
- Shifts can be scheduled at any of our three stations that are in the county
- Shifts can be scheduled at any time, allowing for flexibility with outside obligations
- Volunteer members are required to attend 50% of the in-house volunteer training nights per year
- There are two in-house training nights per month
- It is strongly recommended that volunteer members also attend the monthly Business Meetings
Questions regarding the Volunteer Application process can be directed to Fire and Rescue Headquarters at 540-775-8900 or by emailing us.
We are excited to have you join our team!